Tuesday, December 9, 2008

It's not about giving more, but about giving for a different reason...

My mom gives me a lot more credit than I deserve. When she initially suggested regularly making muffins for the homeless, I wasn't exactly enthusiastic. After all, I started taking a PB&J sandwich with me to class primarily so I wouldn't feel pressured to give money. I knew exactly what would happen if I started giving out money. I would be broke and the money would likely be used for alcohol or drugs.

Day after day I passed homeless people begging for money. One time I offered something to eat, and received the response, "If it doesn't have alcohol in it, I don't want it." That was irritating. Why should I spend my time and money trying to help people that didn't want to help themselves? I saw myself becoming less and less sensitive to the needs of the homeless and I hated how I felt. I knew in my head that God commands us to feed the hungry, I just didn't feel it in my heart. What happened to me? I used to be so passionate about the less-fortunate. Going to school downtown was sucking the compassion right out of me.

Not so coincidentally, three weeks later God spoke to me through my pastor, Andy Stanley (
http://northpoint.org/messages - Confessions of a Fixer). Andy spoke about all the reasons why people give. Some give for the tax deduction or to make themselves feel better, among other reasons. But the reason that resonated with me was to fix a problem or make a situation better. I give to charitable causes because I want to make someone's life better. Not that that's a bad reason to give, but it isn't the primary reason to which we should give. As Christians, we should give because God gives to us, because we want to be like our Father, and because God commands us. God tells us (Isaiah 58:7) to feed the hungry. That means that you feed the hungry...not feed the hungry if they want to cooperate with your plan to fix their lives.

So, I knew what I had to do. I had to feed the homeless. And you know what? As I started feeding them and talking to them, I began to feel more compassionate. I began giving with a glad heart. I felt happy to give, not only to those who are grateful (Luke 6:33), but to those who are unappreciative and those who have no desire to improve their lives.

For me, there must be no distinction between the deserving and undeserving, because God made no distinction when He sent His son to die for us all.

No comments: