Wednesday, June 3, 2009

“I Have Not Come to Call the Righteous, But Sinners”

This morning four of us went into town at about 8:30 am to help out with the Nea Zoi ministry. When we arrived, we sang a few worship songs and prayed specifically for different prostitutes in need of prayer. Then, we split up into groups of five and visited different parts of town with large numbers of brothels. I was astounded by how many there were! On the street I went to, we visited about 8 brothels alone! They’re in unmarked, run-down apartment-like buildings that many businesses occupy. You can easily identify a brothel because they have a bright white light above the door - even during the day. At first, I stayed outside to "keep watch" and pray for those inside, but was soon asked to accompany one of the volunteers, Donna, inside. My heart was pounding when I started walking towards the brothel door as I had no idea what to expect. I silently prayed that God would allow me to share in his broken heart for these women. That I would not see them as prostitutes, but as broken women needing Jesus – just like me. That he would remind me that my sin was just as grievous as theirs.

Inside we walked through a small, dim waiting room where men would sit and wait to view the woman on shift. She comes to the waiting room in between customers and the men decide if they want to pay for her. We then passed by a few bedrooms that were completely bare except a mattress with sheets and a small sink next to it. We entered a small kitchen in the back where the woman on shift and the madam stayed when there were no customers. Sitting in a chair was a woman approximately 35 years old wearing no clothing. We stayed for about 15 minutes and I poured tea and listened while Donna spoke with the woman and madam in Greek. During this time period, the woman got up several times to assist customers coming inside the brothel, but then would rejoin us a minute later when the men decided they were not interested in her. I was so saddened by this. As a woman, I know how much we long to be affirmed and loved...to be called beautiful. It was heart breaking to see this woman rejected over and over again and for her heart to be so hardened that she showed no emotional response. She fooled herself into believing this was only a job. It was a complete perversion of what God created sex for...pleasure void of any kind of love or emotion.

As I looked around the kitchen, I noticed that there were several small photos of Jesus and Mary on the wall accompanied by a cross. I was (and actually still am) quite confused by that. It seems as though they are longing for fulfillment and love - just not seeking it from the right place. I pray that Nea Zoi will continue to visit consistently and offer hope and love to these women. To be a light in these dark places. That God would break down the walls they’ve built around their hearts and draw them close to himself.

I spent several hours of my day visiting brothels, praying for the team and women on shift, and learning more about the prostitution industry in Greece. As I stood outside praying (we have to keep our eyes open), I observed the men walking into the brothels. Some came alone, some in groups with friends. Whereas prostitution is somewhat of a taboo in America, it is not here. It's legal and men frequent them with no shame. There are regulations on the industry, however it’s highly difficult to control so there is almost always illegalities – women without papers, working double shifts, not getting tested, etc.

On a lighter note, the rest of the day was spent doing research at the University of Athens for the church planting mission. We interviewed students and learned a considerable amount of information about Greek student life. The students have a very, very negative view of the church which is disappointing, but understandable when you learn about the history of Greek Orthodoxy.

There is so much more I want to tell you about, but time is limited. Please be praying for our time with these ministries and that God would use us in unexpected ways.

No comments: