Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Greek Pizza

Last night, I made homemade pizza crust from my freshly milled flour! I used the crust for a Greek Pizza recipe I've made many times before. My husband, who has previously eaten the pizza served on store-bought whole wheat crust, even commented on the improved crust!

To make this pizza crust, you will use the basic bread recipe from my last post (with half the honey). Make sure to select the dough prompt on your bread machine. When the dough is finished, divide it in half. Roll out 1/2 of the dough on the pizza pan (using cornmeal for stickiness). Add your desired toppings (my recipe for Greek Pizza below) and let it rest for 10 minutes. Finally, bake at 400 degrees for 15ish minutes (oven times vary).

Next, bake the other 1/2 of the dough without toppings for 10-12 minutes. Freeze for later use (I'm told a clean trash bag works great for freezing the pizza crust).

Greek Pizza Recipe

Ingredients:
12 inch whole wheat pizza crust (or dough from instructions above)
2 1/2 cups whole fresh baby spinach leaves
8 ounces of cooked, chopped, seasoned chicken (I sautee chicken with salt, pepper, oregano and rosemary)
3/4 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/3 cup feta cheese crumbles
2 Tbs. chopped walnuts
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
1/2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix all ingredients together and spread evenly on pizza crust/dough. Bake for 15ish minutes.

No comments: